Thursday, March 24, 2011

Scrumptious Sloppy Joes



I have fond childhood memories of eating sloppy joes. Part of the fun was just trying to hold the thing together with both hands, as the greasy ketchup-y juices mingled with the mayo from the coleslaw, soaked into the soft bun, and dripped everywhere... mmm.

Of course, other childhood favorites (ahem- Chef Boyardees ravioli, McDonalds cheeseburgers) were vastly disappointing when I revisited them in adulthood, so for all I knew, sloppy joes would just disappoint as well. However, I was cautiously excited when I spotted this recipe in The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook. It promised to be an almost impossible combination of things: quick, easy, delicious, pretty healthy, and even kind of upscale (based on the fact that it was featured in this particular cookbook, which rocks). It did not disappoint.


Open-Face Sloppy Joes: 4 servings (I made more than this)

1 T vegetable oil
1 T salted butter
1 c yellow onion, chopped
12 oz lean ground beef
1/2 c red pepper, chopped
2 c tomato sauce
1/4 c ketchup
1-2 t Worcestershire sauce
4 small hamburger buns, toasted and buttered (I used Trader Joe's par-baked rolls)

Heat oil and butter in a 10 or 12" cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook 5". Add bell pepper and ground beef, stirring to crumble and brown meat. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.

Place a toasted bun, open face, buttered side up, on each plate and spoon the meat mixture on top.

Recommended accompaniment: coleslaw.
I will definitely do this next time.

P.S. It's also delicious with Frank's hot sauce, if you want to go there.
I feel like there's something vaguely wrong with this, but the stuff is so good too...

P.P.S. I plan to make a vegetarian version with fake ground beef; we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment